• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

ADS-B 978 weather/traffic in Canada !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, pardon my excitement, I know all this is old hat for our US friends.

But, there is a private project underway in Canada, that has now reached an experimental operational stage with one ground unit broadcasting from the Burlington, Ontario (CZBA) airport. NavCanada, Transport Canada (=FAA) and the the CRTC (=FCC) are not involved, hopefully they don't throw out regulatory obstructions.

Below is a pic of ForeFlight running on my tablet with a Stratus 2s feeding it, but it will show up in any app or hardware (Stratux included) that sniffs out weather and traffic from the US ADS-B 978 type data streams. You can see that there is a transmitter recognized in Burlington (arrow), and sure enough the Brantford Nemo weather (it grabs weather and radar and traffic from a bunch of sources) is available on the weather tab for CYFD, in Foreflight!

It will broadcast nexrad, METARs, Nemoweather, upper winds, possibly NOTAMs and pireps.

Traffic services are pulled from a number of sources, including GliderNet, NemoScout, FlightRadar24 and NemoWX’s ground station network. So, we might even see those pesky gliders!

Now, this transmitter is low power, and will work only within 45nm or so (if you are at altitude), but the possibilities for this are very exciting! Their aspiration with this is to go cross Canada.

More information here:

Canadian Weather Uplink Project

* Orest

1601156636505.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back