• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Ad 2017-14-04

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccarlson

Cherokee Driver
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I received a note from the FAA today about a new AD for the oil cooler lines in our Cherokees. The AD is 2017-14-04, and it is set to supersede AD 95-23-16 effective August 15, 2017.

I put a copy of the PDF here for reference:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8RFXay7BbC0MDF6U2k2UHk4ZWc

The AMOC for 95-26-13 is not considered acceptable under 2017-14-04. My airplane uses the AMOC, so I have to do something. I really wish I could understand why the former owner didn't spend an extra $150 for the Type D hoses back when he did the AMOC. The labor was the same either way, and Type D hoses would have been a permanent fix. Still. Penny wise & dollar stupid, I guess.

Anyway, I have no desire to maintain an ongoing AD, so I went looking for a source of TSO C53a Type D hoses for my '72 -180.

The part numbers I need are:

63901-26
63901-43

Aircraft Spruce sells -43 in Type D for about $160. They also sell -26, but it seems that one is only Type C.

Aircraft Spruce also sells custom hoses assembled to a specified length, so I guess that may be an option. I don't know the lengths of hose required, and pulling my cowling off to take measurements doesn't thrill me. It is easy to do, of course; I'm just feeling lazy after all of my recent alternator shenanigans! :)

I also found a place in Oklahoma that makes hose kits and requested a quote from them. I suspect they'll come back wanting an arm and part of a leg, but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'll reply here if/when I get a response.

I would greatly appreciate any additional sourcing suggestions from those in the know. I'd also like to hear what others are planning to do / have done.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back