• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

A/C Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have completely rebuilt and replaced everything on the AC system other than the Evaporator. Everything is new, hoses, dryer, expansion valve, pressure switch, condenser and compressor. I have charged the system with one can of refrigerant while static (the system holds 2 cans). My dilemma is that when I run the AC to finish with the second can, the system will not accept the refrigerant and the gauges (High and Low) do not move. Both equally sit around 100 PSI. The clutch is working and the pump is turning. There is frost on the output tube of the expansion valve into the evaporator so the system is trying to work. The outlet tube from the evaporator is unchanged, not warm or cool to the touch. I didn't check to see if there was a block in the Evaporator which I suspect is the issue. When I replaced many of the parts, they were coated internally with a brown hard crust which I suspect was stop leak. My guess is that the evaporator is full of the stuff. I will pull it and see if I can blow air through the evaporator coil. I have found an aviation rebuilder that can take care of any issues and rebuild as well as provide an 8130. Cheap, too!

Question - what could cause the above indications? Could a blockage cause this? I've been told that an expansion valve stuck in the open position could cause these indications but I would expect to see some change between the high and low pressure side. It is also new so I think that can be ruled out.

Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back