• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

A bad Mag(?), with a twist [solved]

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O540 - Piper Dakota
Carburetored
D3000 Mag, 350hr since IRAN

During a routine run up today, with a leaned out mag check the engine would lose all power when selecting the LEFT mag with the all EGTs and CHTs and RPM dropping quickly, although I didn't let it shutdown entirely. The behavior is repeatable.

On selecting the RIGHT mag, there was no mag RPM drop, which would make sense if that is the only mag that is running, but with a normalized engine analysis display there is a large relative jump in the Cyl #2 EGT. On reviewing the tracing, it is obvious that EGT #2 is not only moving paradoxically, but is also running quite a bit cooler than typical. The immediately previous capture is a good comparator.

I am puzzled as to why there should be a difference between BOTH & RIGHT positions, if the only issue were a failed LEFT mag.

Perhaps I don't understand this correctly, but if the LEFT mag alone sparks the engine start with the D3000's common Magneto spring, how can it not be producing a spark after it starts up. Does the D3000 use both coils to start up the engine? Or, perhaps the engine start created the mechanical fault.

I have a Horizon tach, and there were no error lights when the mag switch was on BOTH.

Is this an issue with the switch or Mag, and do I have a co-incidental bad plug on Cyl #2?

Will be calling my shop tomorrow, but throw it out here for discussion.

* Orest

Flight with the problem ...
https://www.savvyanalysis.com/flight/3195896/f4141dcf-5f79-4489-8e74-cc47f7c3f0a1

Previous flight, with normal Mag check ...
https://www.savvyanalysis.com/flight/3195895/1085704a-2b08-40fc-a6e9-2a1e2d9cb6e3

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back