• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

79 PA-32 Panel Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdiamond

Reaction score
All-

Looking for some input and maybe answers on some lingering questions on a panel upgrade I’m going to start in the next week or so. My NSD-1000 went out and instead of risking 3000+ to repair it I would rather go solid state. Of course the incompatibilities kick in and “push” a navigator upgrade, and while the panel is out, its ADSB-out time. Great timing on the rebate coming up again... and another “while I’m at it” is to go ahead with an engine monitor.

So- looking at doing

2 G5’s
GTN-650
GTX-345R
JPI-900 primary
Replace COM2 with GTR-225. Com only. FAA is phasing out VOR anyway.

Any experienced opinions welcome. This is my first big upgrade. I do have some specific remaining questions I can’t quite get nailed down.

1. JPI-900 outside air temperature- if this is installed, can I get rid of the big OAT pole sticking out from above the pilot side? It’s ugly from the he outside and I’m 6’2” so it’s too close to my face to look up and read it comfortably.
2. If the JPI-900 is primary for Tach (and analog tach is removed), what is done for engine tach time? I can’t find a straight answer on this.
3. Using ForeFlight on a panel mounted iPad, what is the most efficient chart solution? I’m new to this and will be working on my IFR ticket once the plane is IFR. Jeppesen through the FF app? Garmin Pilot? Does the 650 have charts? I have no experience with any of the subscription services. I think the GTN-650 will have a subscription service and I hate to pay twice for the same data.

Thanks all- appreciate any help or guidance.

Latest posts

Back