• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

'73 Turbo Aztec

ranchorossa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
'73 Turbo Aztec. TTAF: 2350 SMOH: 410 SPOH: 187
New interior 2013. Needs paint and updated avionics. No damage history. Altimatic 3B auto pilot. Factory oxygen. Hangared at KOLS. Runs and flies great, just not flying it enough. Vref:$96,813. Asking $75,000. 520-604-6532

Airplane1.jpg

airplane2.jpg

airplane3.jpg

N4986P

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking to buy, but I keep coming back to this plane thinking this seems like a pretty good deal. Super low time, fresh engines and props, and living in the desert. Give this babay a paint job and a new panel, and it would be a sweet ride for way less than a late 90's Saratoga. Have you had many lookers or offers?

philiplane

A&P, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI,
Reaction score
the realistic price of an Aztec like this is far less than $75K. The twin market continues to decline since there is low demand.

The avionics are the same ones it left the factory with in 1973, save for the MAC1700 conversion. It does not even have an HSI, which most turbo Aztecs had at that time. Factory oxygen is not a bonus since it was part of the Turbo package. A good paint job will be $18K. A great one will be $22K.

The low total time is nice but buyers will pay a premium for current avionics and recent paint.

And it's a 44 year old plane that has flown less than 53 hours annually. That is a hit as well. Dry climate plane means rubber parts are probably toast, this includes hoses, plastics, rubber trim, window trim, and many other internal items.

So plan on a very expensive first annual, depending on how fussy you are about all the vintage seals and rubber goods that will need replacing.

JimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of straight-from-the-shoulder, but I'd rather hear the uncomfortable truth than the comfortable fib.

N4986P

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of straight-from-the-shoulder, but I'd rather hear the uncomfortable truth than the comfortable fib.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree. Philiplane brought up some great points that I hadn't thought of. The good thing is I'm not really in the market right now, but I always love to learn more about how to look at aircraft like this that are for sale.

I have a strange fascination that refurbishing aircraft would be as lucrative as flipping houses. I see aircraft like this and some older Cherokee's that have so much potential. All it takes is money right? I guess I'm having so much fun refurbishing my airplane, that I may want to do other aircraft when I'm done, and try to sell them. Unfortunately, I kind of understand that this is kind of a losing proposition and not realistic from a financial standpoint. But a guy can dream can't he? However, Yingling is trying to make money doing this with their Ascend 172's. It will be interesting how this works out for them.

JimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a strange fascination that refurbishing aircraft would be as lucrative as flipping houses. I see aircraft like this and some older Cherokee's that have so much potential. All it takes is money right? I guess I'm having so much fun refurbishing my airplane, that I may want to do other aircraft when I'm done, and try to sell them. Unfortunately, I kind of understand that this is kind of a losing proposition and not realistic from a financial standpoint. But a guy can dream can't he? However, Yingling is trying to make money doing this with their Ascend 172's. It will be interesting how this works out for them.
I bought a 172XP from a friend last year - who had bought it as a student pilot, thinking he would fly more if he owned a plane - but never did. I did a top overhaul over the winter, thinking of giving it to my son, but he lost interest in flying, so I'm trading it (plus some "boot money") to an older friend for an Aztec model E with a new paint job, nice avionics, but engines nearing TBO. I'm new to twins; hope that it is as satisfying as I think it will be. I just don't like flying my normally-aspirated 182 in much weather - especially in the winter. It seems awfully easy to get in a corner, and I'm sure experience would help, but I'm not much for the kind of experiences that scare you. LOL.

The Aztec has new boots and is turbocharged; should be a major performance upgrade for me. (Yes, I know about those thirsty engines, but I think it's worth it ...) Thoughts?

N4986P

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 172XP from a friend last year - who had bought it as a student pilot, thinking he would fly more if he owned a plane - but never did. I did a top overhaul over the winter, thinking of giving it to my son, but he lost interest in flying, so I'm trading it (plus some "boot money") to an older friend for an Aztec model E with a new paint job, nice avionics, but engines nearing TBO. I'm new to twins; hope that it is as satisfying as I think it will be. I just don't like flying my normally-aspirated 182 in much weather - especially in the winter. It seems awfully easy to get in a corner, and I'm sure experience would help, but I'm not much for the kind of experiences that scare you. LOL.

The Aztec has new boots and is turbocharged; should be a major performance upgrade for me. (Yes, I know about those thirsty engines, but I think it's worth it ...) Thoughts?
Sounds good to me. But don't let those boots and two turbo'd engines lead you to believe you're in an all weather airplane and take you places that you otherwise wouldn't take your 182. Sounds like you have the right idea though. Get some good training in your new bird from a knowledgable Aztec instructor. As long as you are up to the increased fuel and maintenance bills, sounds like and exciting upgrade. Post some pics in the Twins forum when you get it. Would love to see it!

JimW

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Query - The Aztec I'm looking at has not had the second hydraulic pump installed, nor has it had the flap torque tube upgrade. I'm having problems even finding the parts. There is a nice STC out there for an electric pump which runs anytime the gear or (flaps?) are in transit, but I think I'd rather have the engine-driven model. Where do I start to find what I need for these two upgrades? Thanks in advance.

ranchorossa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been quoted two prices for paint, $7800-$10,200. All hoses and rubber are in good shape. Interior is excellent. Quote to put an Aspen, G-650, G-340 and a G-345 was $41k. If I don't sell it, I'm going to have all the work done and have an amazing low time "super hauler."

icarus

Airport Bum
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have been quoted two prices for paint, $7800-$10,200. All hoses and rubber are in good shape. Interior is excellent. Quote to put an Aspen, G-650, G-340 and a G-345 was $41k. If I don't sell it, I'm going to have all the work done and have an amazing low time "super hauler."
If you get a quote for painting ANY airplane, let alone a light twin for 7-10k...don't walk...run.

Good luck in your sale.

Latest posts