• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

360-A3A very low oil burn - what to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Airtime2

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Cherokee 180c with a 360-A3A with around 120 hrs which was rebuilt before I bought the plane. Reading the log book it would be best described as a field overhaul. The case was sent out and line bored, the rods maganafluxed and certified for re-use, new pistons, rings, bearings, cam, crank, etc., etc., etc. New everything firewall forward. The cylinders are new and Cerminil. The engine looks great and no leaks...but, it was delivered from NJ to just N of Raleigh, NC (3 hr flight) and the oil was on 8 qts when I checked it. I have flown 1.5 hrs, 3 hrs, 1 hr, and 2.5 hrs and the oil is still right at or just very slightly under 8 qts. I'm a newby and all I know is what I've read lately. It seems some oil burn is better than no oil burn and not much if any oil is getting above my oil ring to the top 2 rings (in ea. cyl.). I've read that low oil consumption engines may need a new cylinder at 500 hrs.

Should I add a lubricant to the fuel for the upper cylinder and rings? Something like Marvel Mystery Oil? Will it help? Will it hurt?

The engine runs like new and I'd like to keep it that way.

Latest posts

Back