• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1978 Piper Archer II $39800

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregplatt

Reaction score
I'm listing my plane for sale now, i had a thread going about the value some time back, thanks for all the responses. I found another plane that looks like it will work well for me so it's time for a great plane to find a new home. Plane will be listed on Controller in a day or so. Price $39800 Here is a general overview:
1978 Piper Archer II (taper wing 180hp)
TTAF: 10842
TSMOH: 2024
General Condition
Overall this plane is in great shape, i do anything that's available to do for maintenance. The plane spent some time as a trainer in the middle of it's life and was corporate owned at one time. I purchased it originally to get my PPL and build some time.
Interior is new as of 2018 full genuine leather with most new plastics, carpet, side panels, lots of time spent to make it really clean inside.
Newer windshield, side glass
New tires, brakes etc..
All ad's complied, upgraded oil lines etc...
Upgraded front seat belts to am safe shoulder belts that retract 2016
lightweight starter, alternator
Full electric non vacuum setup
Aspen 1000 vfr (can be easily upgraded with a configuration module)
RC Allen digital display RCA2610-3 turn coordinator/ slip
EI cgr 30-p engine monitor with fuel flow
IFR panel, a little dated but ok, newer ICom radio, apollo gx50 gps, nav com, kns 80
406 dual frequency elt new 2018

Exterior
Probably 5/10 for paint, it's been repainted in the 90's and touched up as needed, serviceable.
The leading edges are chipped and worn in many places. The vertical stab has paint missing where stickers were removed. The white paint on the upper portion is pretty thin.
New style door seals
LED Lighting
Includes main gear wheel pants

Highlights
- Pilot and Co-Pilot full articulating seats
- Just under 1000lbs useful load
- Really nice interior
- Lots and lots of Logs and records!
- No vacuum issues, semi glass panel
- No corrosion, originally sold on the west coast and spent most of it's time in dry climate including AZ. I've hangered it since I've owned it and the previous owner did the same.

I have a really good shop here in Vancouver that does the maintenance, named Aero Maintenance at KVUO, where i'm hangered.
No ads-b currently. I was going to add the Garmin GNX 375 for WAAS ads-b, new owner can decide what they want. Local FBO can install if needed, they have openings.

This has been a great plane for me, it's very docile, never bites, you can land with your eyes closed (don't do it). It has never let me down or stranded me. Engine is on condition, but runs great, i've been doing engine analysis lately, but not enough to show a pattern yet. Compression is excellent, no leaks etc... Currently in annual, i believe the last annual was completed in April, i need to check.

Would be a great plane for some one to learn, or just a cheap plane to use with good performance.
I usually fly between 5000 and 9000, see about 120-125 knots true on 9.5-10.5 gph, that is 100 degrees rich, you can lean it out a lot more, but i don't like going slow.
I'm 6'8" tall, about 300 pounds, not really fat just big. The archer with the articulating seats actually was pretty comfortable for me.
The interior is really nice, it's full leather on the seats, i like how the brown turned out, it gave me a lot of pride in ownership when we changed it.

Squawks:
The vent fan needs new brushes i believe, i have the breaker disconnected, never really needed it, there is plenty of circulation.
The KNS 80 acts up sometimes when you start it up, probably just remove it, i don't use it much.
The panel mount clock stopped working
The headliner has some stains, we should have replaced it with the interior
The arm rests aren't installed, they were in the way so we didn't re-install then when the new panels went on
small ding in leading edge of wing
#2 cylinder egt jumps around sometimes, probably needs a new probe
Logs not 100% complete, with the higher time airframe there is a lot of paperwork, the log book is very large but there is some missing.

Can help arrange pre-purchase inspections, i'm real easy to work with[

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back