• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1972 Low TT, Newly OH'd Engine, Arrow II For Sale

ready1998

Reaction score
Last edited:

ScottS

Reaction score
Nice plane.

We are pretty close to you up in BC but I think the import would add a lot of extra costs and it is just a bit over our budget. Weren't really considering a retract, but it does have a cool factor.

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Curious. When you mounted the CGR-30P, did you give any consideration to putting it over to your right? I have considered that same spot to put ours in the Lance, but was instead going to opt for putting it where the Nav2 CDI is. Do you find it difficult at all to fly and work the instrument at the same time?

ready1998

Reaction score
Do you find it difficult at all to fly and work the instrument at the same time?
Not at all. I'm right-handed, so I simply need to reach across with my right hand anytime I need to switch screens or functions. The unit is so darn easy to work with, there's really not that many button presses or twists I need to use before I get to where I'm looking for.

I chose that location as it was where my factory original EGT probe had been. I had briefly considered placing it low on the panel, where the original manifold pressure and tach gauges were, but concluded the unit needs to be eye level. Considering how much information it houses (fuel, temps, OAT, etc), I'm very happy with that decision. It's actually quite entertaining (for me) to try to dial-in different power settings, and monitor all of the engine's facets! ::cool::D

Last edited:

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
After reconsidering, I think that's where I'm going to put mine. It'll be far easier to relocate the KI-227 that is there currently than it will be to relocate the #2 CDI. I'm right handed as well, and find that I fly mostly with my left hand. Figured it'd be easier to put it where I could get to it easily with my right now. Now that I think about it though, probably not a lot of fiddling with it during critical phases of flight.

rrc1962

Reaction score
It will be more in your normal scan in the upper right. We put our 830 lower left at first right after buying the plane. When we did the major panel upgrade, they moved it to the upper right. Much better there.

ready1998

Reaction score
Were I to keep the plane, I'd put in an Aspen somewhere down the line. And at that point, I'd replace the VSI with the CGR to get it more within "the pack". But as it is, to me, the current set up leaves the panel as neutral and "standard" as possible. And I have no trouble using the product while in IMC - it displays Tach and MP no matter what screen I'm on, and it gives a nice visual warning via a blinking yellow or red LED should a tank need to be switched.

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
That's my dilemma as well. At some point I want to install the Aspen PFD and will relocate the CGR to the CDI #1 spot. Until then, I think I'll be okay with it displacing the ADF indicator.

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is just to the right of the radio stack, at the top of the panel. It is where the old Electronic Tach was, and right next to the mechanical tach (no reason to take it out, redundancy it good), so it was in my normal scan at that location.

Mark

ready1998

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea - it'd definitely free up some more space on the panel, and I do have the room. I always wondered if I could fit a GTN750 into my present stack after removing one of the SL-30's. If that arrangement did work, the whole right panel would still be open for the CGR, autopilot, or whatever else my imagination (and wallet) could handle. :D

Last edited: