• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1967 PA28 overhead console dimmer switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpilotmexico

Reaction score
We just recently replaced the cracked overhead console on my 1967 Cherokee. The console (I assumed original) had a hole and a rheostat installed just to the left of the light. I kind of assumed the rheostat controlled the panel light.
I ordered the replacement console and immediately noticed it did not have the 1/2" hole for the dimmer switch. No big deal, we measured and bored the hole. We also took photos of the original (we assumed) wiring arrangement. I replaced the light with an LED. We didn't do a bench test but rewired following the schematic shown in the photos.

After installing I decided to try the rheostat and discovered that it didn't control the light but, in fact, controlled the volume of the overhead speaker.
I kind of figured maybe we had goofed and we decided, as we have to work outside, to possibly wait for a warm day to drop the console and rewire it.
Curious to try out the LED light I was at the airport last night after dark to give it a try. Beautiful illumination...having just bought the aircraft about 2 years ago I haven't had any opportunity to do any night flying. Sitting in the aircraft I noticed ( for the first time) the navigation light switch has 3 positions Dim-Off-Bright. Switching to dim cuts the intensity of the LED light about in half and I could see that for a long night cross country dim would work just fine with bright for approach and landing.

Here are my questions:

1. Is the rheostat a Piper factory installation?
2. As the wiring looked original did Piper wire it to the speaker?
3. If you have a switch on the control panel Dim-Off-Bright why (if the rheostat should be wired to the light) would you, in fact need the dimmer?
4. I had all the covers on the aircraft last night and it never occurred to me to check the exterior navigation lights when I was flicking the switch from dim to bright but I can only assume (and will verify it tonight) that the nav lights were dimming along with the LED light? If that's true when would you ever want to dim the exterior nav lights considering safety at night?

Latest posts

Back