• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1965 Cherokee 6/260 For Sale $111k

walkinghispath

Reaction score
My friend is selling his Six. I flew it to OSH this year and with all seats, baggage, and fuel full we still had 200lbs of useful load to spare.

It’ll also run off 94UL with no modifications.

Here’s the listing with all the details: Cherokee 6/260

flyguydon

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wow how things have changed. A 6 nearing TBO with a 2 blade prop, velour, and a very basic panel asking over 100k.

Flying_Monkey

Reaction score
No kidding Don. $111k with that equipment and interior and 1800+ hours on the engine AND prop? It's insane. I would have priced that at $70-80k TOPS a couple years ago... IF THAT. I noticed it hasn't sold yet and was on sale all through Oshkosh. You won't find a more enthusiastic audience to buy an airplane than there, so maybe they will have to reduce the price to move it.

As a reference that's about how much I had into my 6 before I put the Dynon in there INCLUDING purchase, overhaul engine, IFD540, ADSB In and Out, SL30 radio, JPI900, LEATHER INTERIOR, PAINT.

I know a few people looking for Sixes - they seem to be in demand. Will be interesting to see where this one nets out. Jesse, will you keep us market watchers posted on what happens??? :)

flyguydon

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oddly, you can get a faster plane in a Lance with more panel, paint, and interior... for similar or less. I suppose simply because folks are afraid of the EXTREMELY RELIABLE retract and initially higher insurance.

If you fly much, a Lance will give better fuel economy that will at least partially subsidize the insurance. Plus... if time is money... they will go 150+kts all day long. Early on my Arrow was 2k for insurance but has been 1100 for 10 years now...

Now, if you are just busting clouds for a hundred dollar (or now likely 200 dollar) hamburger the travel value does not weigh in.

walkinghispath

Reaction score
No kidding Don. $111k with that equipment and interior and 1800+ hours on the engine AND prop? It's insane. I would have priced that at $70-80k TOPS a couple years ago... IF THAT. I noticed it hasn't sold yet and was on sale all through Oshkosh. You won't find a more enthusiastic audience to buy an airplane than there, so maybe they will have to reduce the price to move it.

As a reference that's about how much I had into my 6 before I put the Dynon in there INCLUDING purchase, overhaul engine, IFD540, ADSB In and Out, SL30 radio, JPI900, LEATHER INTERIOR, PAINT.

I know a few people looking for Sixes - they seem to be in demand. Will be interesting to see where this one nets out. Jesse, will you keep us market watchers posted on what happens??? :)
Sure will. It was actually under contract before I left for OSH, but the buyer backed out on Thursday.

walkinghispath

Reaction score
Oddly, you can get a faster plane in a Lance with more panel, paint, and interior... for similar or less. I suppose simply because folks are afraid of the EXTREMELY RELIABLE retract and initially higher insurance.

If you fly much, a Lance will give better fuel economy that will at least partially subsidize the insurance. Plus... if time is money... they will go 150+kts all day long. Early on my Arrow was 2k for insurance but has been 1100 for 10 years now...

Now, if you are just busting clouds for a hundred dollar (or now likely 200 dollar) hamburger the travel value does not weigh in.
Where? Lances I’ve seen are starting around $150k now. And they’re usually sold in a day or two.

Cherokeesixsc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man. A few years ago I bought my six with similar TT, mid time engine, new 3 blade prop, jpi, edm, 530w, 330ex, slaved a/p, etc etc, for less than half that. I’m delivering a fairly basic 6/300 this week that went for $200k 😳

walkinghispath

Reaction score
Oh man. A few years ago I bought my six with similar TT, mid time engine, new 3 blade prop, jpi, edm, 530w, 330ex, slaved a/p, etc etc, for less than half that. I’m delivering a fairly basic 6/300 this week that went for $200k 😳
Yep. Inflation, stimulus, and aircraft depreciation rules are driving the market wild.

GregKet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a 1966 6/260 on Craigslist near me for only $28,000.
30 years out of annual (but with 10 year old zero-time engine and prop. Bonus!).
Missing windshield. etc

so if you want a “project“…

Ogie_ogelthorpe

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't the 2 blades have an AD on them? If I needed to put a prop on a Six id be looking at the MT composite. 27 pounds lighter than the Hartzell 3 blade