• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1-800-WXBRIEF or self brief?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briefing Choices - Which do you use?

• Total voters
Reaction score
So, I was recently invited to take part in an ERAU “blind” round table on this subject. It was shocking to me to hear so many young aviators that have never called the 800 number.

This coming from a guy who used to actually walk into the meterologist’s office before a flight and use the large format paper charts (some of you are JUST as old 😂)

I prefer to use a combination of both. Sure, I “pack” for a trip on ForeFlight, but I always call also. Reason being, these people have YEARS of experience with weather patterns, flight routes, and other things I may not have thought about. The more information I have, the safer my choices can be (mitigate risk).

At the end of the discussion several of the young uns said they hadn’t thought of the points I raised.

My best feedback was in this day and age of technology, if we could make it app based, or web, and make it a true interactive briefing. Where you see the prog chart as you’re discussing, etc.

Curious to see if I’m an anomaly from a hold over time, or if I’m cutting edge. 😂

When you vote, please explain your reasoning. I’m genuinely interested in other pilot’s thought processes...

Latest posts

Back