• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

More hoof valve drama but with a twist.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan3820

Reaction score
My AP and I are at our wits end with this one. Due to the gear in transition light in my 1975 Arrow II coming on in flight- long story, short we narrowed the issue to the hoof valve. We pulled the hoof valve and replaced the O-rings (MS-28755-006). The old O-rings were obviously damaged. Initially everything appeared to be resolved with the installation of the new o-rings. I took the Arrow up on a maintenance check flight. All was good, no gear in transition light came on. I am a very happy camper. Next flight, gear up the GIT comes on as normal...but never goes out. Return to the airport, tower says the gear is down. Unfortunately, the gear switch is in the up position with the pump running. Jack the plane up, cannot get the gear to retract. Pull and disassemble the hoof valve again. All looks good. O-rings are fine. Reinstall hoof valve. Gear comes up, great!. Cycle the gear again, gear not come up. Repeat this exercise several more times during an entire weekend, no change in the results. We pressurized the unit with hydraulic fluid on the bench. The valve worked as it should have. Reinstall in the plane, gear comes up 2x but not on the third attempt. it feels like the pump is running with the emergency gear release engaged. Anyone have any insight that more resolve the issue?

Alternatively, any one want to trade a nice Arrow for something with fixed gear?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back