Piper Forum > General Discussion > General Piper Discussion > AOPA FlyQ vs ForeFlight
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
gas_pumps
Established Member

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default AOPA FlyQ vs ForeFlight

I know that the AOPA version of FlyQ has just been released. Any input on comparison to ForeFlight? I have ForeFlight and it seems to work well, but my subscription expires next month. Just curious. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
mrserrano
Established Member

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I haven't used FlyQ a lot but it seems more like a straight flight-planning tool, like FltPlan.com, whereas ForeFlight works as a planning tool and functions like a handheld GPS with a big moving map. I used to flight plan on FltPlan.com but ForeFlight's addition of the altitude and route advisors make it a very effective planning tool now. AOPA just released a FlyQ iPad app which might be more dual use but I'm not sure of that.

I use Foreflight Pro with the geo-referenced plates and taxi diagrams. My GTN650 has safe taxi on it but the diagrams on the iPad are bigger and easier to read so its money well spent in my opinion. The documents tab in Foreflight is another great feature. I typically add airport specific info such as noise abatement procedures before I fly so I can reference it if needed. Foreflight allows you to run a paperless cockpit and keep everything organized and easily accessible.

My 2 cents.
Mike

Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
mrserrano
Established Member

I was just reading the new AOPA Pilot mag and apparently FlyQ on the iPad is now a full fledged EFB similar to Foreflight, Wing X, etc. So I guess the only thing left is to download it and experiment.

Mike

Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
mrserrano
Established Member

I spent some time messing with the new FlyQ EFB while watching some football. I think it's a decent start but even with the synthetic vision and highway in the sky features it still falls short of Foreflight in several ways. I think Foreflight provides better route planning. I used a flight from French Valley (F7)0 to Santa Barabara (KSBA). The VFR options were basically direct or airways. The airway route went right through the LA Class B in such a way that ATC is unlikely to allow. I also tried to enter an IFR plan using the TEC route ONTN17 and it did not recognize the route. Foreflight will use TEC routes for planning and allow you to change to appropriate VFR cruising altitudes if needed. FlyQ does allow track up map orientation.

FlyQ also lacks the document integration Foreflight contains. Foreflight recently added Class B VFR flyway sections and I'm hoping will eventually add special charts like the Grand Canyon Special Flight Rules chart. FlyQ does not have A/FD entries either. FlyQ provides geo referenced airport diagrams in its less expensive VFR package, which Foreflight does not so that is a plus. Overall the two price levels are similar for top of the line VFR/IFR packages with geo referenced diagrams and plates. FlyQ does not offer any Canada coverage while Foreflight does for an additional cost.

I think FlyQ is a good start but still needs several enhancements to be on par with Foreflight. The app will develop over time and could eventually be serious competition but I think I will stick with Foreflight for now. A Levil AHRS is needed to truly use the synthetic vision EFIS and Highway in the Sky features. The app also lacks ADS-B weather for now. I already bought a Stratus and love its usually <1m accuracy and free weather seamlessly integrated into Foreflight.

I have not flown with FlyQ yet and I'm sure there are features I am missing so take this for what it's worth. Like a wise man once said, "Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one."

Mike

Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Johnbmcg
Comanche 180 Owner

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

FlyQ from AOPA is a product of Seattle Avionics, who are the providers of ForeFlight.. FlyQ should be considered the free or "Teaser" version of ForeFlight Junior.. It has similar data for airports, and similar data for weather, but detailed VFR and IFR Chart data isn't the same..

Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
bartmc
Established Member

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbmcg View Post
FlyQ from AOPA is a product of Seattle Avionics, who are the providers of ForeFlight.. FlyQ should be considered the free or "Teaser" version of ForeFlight Junior.. It has similar data for airports, and similar data for weather, but detailed VFR and IFR Chart data isn't the same..
I don't think Seattle Avionics is ForeFlight LLC. I believe they provide the georeferenced approach plate data to ForeFlight but that's it.