Piper Forum > General Discussion > General Piper Discussion > Shoulder Strap Inertia Reel Conversion
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
RSquaredf16
Established Member

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Shoulder Strap Inertia Reel Conversion

I currently have fixed 3-point shoulder straps for the front seats in my 1972 Arrow. Id like to swap it out for an inertial reel setup. Has anyone done that or could otherwise offer up some ideas?

Old 10-13-2017, 02:02 AM   #2
78TARROW
Established Member

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

My mech has put 4-point systems in several Cherokees and they are solid set ups. I have original equipment inertia reel shoulder harnesses for my Arrow front seats. They are OK but I am seriously consider upgrading to the 4-point system.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:05 AM   #3
Orest @ CYFD
Administrator
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Liked 1112 Times on 902 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Really like the BAS system. Installed it some time ago.

* Orest

Old 10-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
flyguydon
Supporting Member
PiPe_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1020 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 248

He is not asking about big expensive upgrades. He is asking if a plane with fixed manually adjustable shoulder straps can easily be fitted with standard issue Piper inertia reel setups.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
sierrakilo99
Established Member

Liked 204 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 127

There are a number of parts that need to be riveted in to support the reel. Take a look at the SK info from Piper for inertia reel installation:

sk

Old 10-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
philiplane
A&P, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI,

Liked 541 Times on 389 Posts

Swapping out the fixed for the inertia reel is a bolt-on affair and you only need to purchase the reel assembly. It installs with the same hardware. Make sure you match the style of harness termination at the lap belt: the OEM style uses a slot on the end of the harness, mating to a stud mounted on the lap belt buckle. The aftermarket conversions swap those for a stud on the harness and a slot on the lap belt buckle.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
GM.
Supporting Member
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Liked 1676 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 528

I think eventually there is a law of diminishing returns as to the number of "point" harnesses installed on a Cherokee. We have a crotch strap (five point) on airliner harnesses but the seats, attach points of the seats and the seat tracks are seriously quite solid. Take a look at the clips that glide on the seat rail, the welds and the gauge of the seat support tubing on a Cherokee.

You can have original two point belts to keep you in your seat, three point, four point or even five point belts to keep you in your seat and protect your nose on a Cherokee but when the seat breaks loose in a serious accident it's Katie bar the door anyway.
JimC Likes This 
Old 10-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
RSquaredf16
Established Member

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiplane View Post
Swapping out the fixed for the inertia reel is a bolt-on affair and you only need to purchase the reel assembly. It installs with the same hardware. Make sure you match the style of harness termination at the lap belt: the OEM style uses a slot on the end of the harness, mating to a stud mounted on the lap belt buckle. The aftermarket conversions swap those for a stud on the harness and a slot on the lap belt buckle.

Sounds easy enough. Got any recommendations on sources? Salvage yard for Piper inertia reel with OEM termination or are there after market options?

Old 10-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #9
flyguydon
Supporting Member
PiPe_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1020 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 248

ASOD, Texas Air Salvage, Wentworth.