Piper Forum > Aviation Topics > Maintenance > 3 in the green...replacement source
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
LuisO
PiPe_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default 3 in the green...replacement source

Hi guys, what are my options for replacing one of the gear down annunciator lights?

I have one that's intermittent (nose gear). It doesn't seem to be the microswitch down on the gear as the red gear unsafe light doesn't come on. I swapped it with one of the other lights and I get the light to come on.

Also, do you change the hole unit (green cube) included or the bulb comes out of the green cube? Any LED replacements?

I guess I just need some schooling on this. It's a '76 Lance btw.

Thanks much.
Luis.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
EchoDelta
Established Member

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisO View Post
Hi guys, what are my options for replacing one of the gear down annunciator lights?

I have one that's intermittent (nose gear). It doesn't seem to be the microswitch down on the gear as the red gear unsafe light doesn't come on. I swapped it with one of the other lights and I get the light to come on.

Also, do you change the hole unit (green cube) included or the bulb comes out of the green cube? Any LED replacements?

I guess I just need some schooling on this. It's a '76 Lance btw.

Thanks much.
Luis.

I believe the indicators on the Lance are the same as those on my 79 Arrow, which indeed have an internal, replaceable bulb. The bulb is, I believe, a GE 330, which is widely available (e.g from Aircraft Spruce). I doubt there is an LED replacement.

With these incandescent bulbs they usually work or they don't (i.e burned out). If the problem is intermittent the more likely culprit is a bad contact between the bulb base and the socket.

Also, you can't rule out the gear down sensing microswitch just because the "gear unsafe" light is out. These microswitches have two contacts, one that connects to the respective indicator light and the other that connects to the "gear unsafe" light. If the switch (or its wiring) is bad, or is just a little bit out of adjustment, you could certainly get an intermittent green light while the "gear unsafe" light remains off.

I am a bit confused by your statement, "I swapped it with one of the other lights and I get the light to come on." Let's call the intermittent light (the light itself, not the position) "A" and the one you swapped it with "B". After the swap, which if either of the lights (A or B) were on solidly, and which if either were off or intermittent?

PaulR Likes This 
Old 10-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #3
Unit74
Established Member

Liked 170 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I experimented with some LED lights I bought in various styles that seemed to be dimensionaly close and was unable to get any of them functional. I was hoping to see a much brighter light as in direct sunlight, the greens wash out, but alas, no dice.

If you pulled a main and put it in the nose and it fired up, it's the bulb. If it didn't light up, you have some exploring to do. QD Electrical cleaner on the miroswitches is where I'd start, then go from there. Solved a gear in transit problem I had not to long ago.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
LuisO
PiPe_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

@ED Thanks for the explanation. In retrospect, I think you're right in that it may be the receptacle itself. Let me do a little more thorough troubleshooting and I'll report back.

@Unit74 Thanks also for the input...I guess LED is out of the question.

Luis.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
philiplane
A&P, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI,

Liked 541 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The indicator is a GE 330 lamp. An LED may not work since this circuit is on a dimmer, and LED's generally can't function on less than full voltage unless they are designed and labeled as dimmable. Further, LED's are cooler on the lamp face but much hotter in the base. You can overheat the lamp socket, and you won't notice till the lamp doesn't work, that the socket is damaged beyond repair.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
LuisO
PiPe_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks Philip.
Whereabouts in Ft Lauderdale are based off of?
I'm at KHWO, would like to visit with you some time.

Luis.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
BGFYankee

Liked 164 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoDelta View Post
I believe the indicators on the Lance are the same as those on my 79 Arrow, which indeed have an internal, replaceable bulb. The bulb is, I believe, a GE 330, which is widely available (e.g from Aircraft Spruce). I doubt there is an LED replacement.
I actually have LED bulbs in mine. The downside is that they aren't dimmable, so VERY bright at night with the gear down. The upside is that there is never any question during the day (or night!) whether or not the gear is down. I have seen first hand people flying in the daytime not realizing that the lights are dimmed all the way and thinking that they aren't getting three green/down locked. I wanted to eliminate this being a potentiality.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:34 PM   #8
Unit74
Established Member

Liked 170 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Recall model and source? I sourced from Superbright LED and Allied Electronics with no luck.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:12 AM   #9
sanjiv
S@njiv

Liked 426 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
Recall model and source? I sourced from Superbright LED and Allied Electronics with no luck.

https://www.aero-lites.com/ge-330-12...ht-replacement

Old 10-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #10
GM.
Supporting Member
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Liked 1676 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Nav Lights... OFF is the third item in the landing gear abnormal procedure after Master Switch... On and Circuit Breakers ... Normal. It's not a tough one.

Personally I wouldn't care for three non dimmable green spotlights in my eyes or the unnecessary illumination the cockpit at night on a 1/2 mile instrument approach or worst yet a 3/4 mile minimum approach with limited approach lighting.

Stick with the 330's as they are designed Luis, they are more than adequate day and night. New tech isn't always better in all applications.