Piper Forum > Forum Announcements & Support > Forum Suggestions & Help > Sticky for maintenance manuals?
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
sierrakilo99
Established Member

Liked 204 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default Sticky for maintenance manuals?

Seems to always be a thread looking for a particular SM, can we have a sticky with threads dedicated to that topic? Inside the 'maintenance' category so its easy to locate?

sk

Old 10-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
Orest @ CYFD
Administrator
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Liked 1112 Times on 902 Posts
Likes Given: 678

A little while ago I was stickying certain key threads, similar in nature, for the same reasons. A few folks strongly objected, saying that it cluttered up the forums. Given the various ways one can access the forums, the complaints never made sense to me, but they were persistent and I abandoned the effort.

* Orest

Old 10-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
GM.
Supporting Member
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Liked 1676 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 528

I would like to see an effort go toward a more accurate search function. Something like key words in the topic. There are many repeat questions that's been covered time and time again that honestly are getting old repeating in their entirety. I can't even find those that I authored some time ago.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
sierrakilo99
Established Member

Every forum I'm on (cars, hot rods, golf carts...) has maintenance links with locked threads / stickys for FAQs (where do I find parts? How do I put air in my tires? what spark plug should I use? etc.)

Just sayin'...

sk

Old 10-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
GM.
Supporting Member
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Liked 1676 Times on 1261 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Default Sticky for maintenance manuals?

I'm referring to long informative threads about common gear unsafe indications, short field takeoffs, 6 ply vs 4 ply, climb performance, how to start an engine, etc. Threads that include lengthy instructional responses and references, not personal preferences of spark plugs, what's the best oil in the world, or tire pressures. A well greased search function would also easily locate a thread titled "Service manual links".
A sticky would work too, but more than likely the manuals are not current. Would the forum be advocating their use and what would be their liability?

My searches come up empty most of the time though I know what I am specifically looking for is there.
henni8a5 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
TheDoc
Established Member

Liked 93 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM. View Post
I'm referring to long informative threads about common gear unsafe indications, short field takeoffs, 6 ply vs 4 ply, climb performance, etc. Threads that include lengthy instructional responses and references, not personal preferences of spark lugs or tire pressures. A well greased search function would also easily locate a thread titled "Service manual links".
A sticky would work too, but more than likely the manuals are not current. Would the forum be advocating their use and what would be their liability?

My searches come up empty most of the time though I know what I am specifically looking for is there.

This just occurred to me but may be the answer to powerful search on PF. Who is the king of search? Google. You can site specific search by using the follow syntax :

[search words] siteiperforum.com

Not sure how good results will be for recently posted content as Google has to come back time to time and crawl the site but for searching something posted a while ago this should prove powerful.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #7
sanjiv
S@njiv

Liked 426 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 54

+1 for search. It sucks the way it is now. I canít seem to search writhing a category unless I type exact full word and then also results arenít always accurate. I end up going to google and search the topic and include piperforum in key words too. If the thread is older than a week, it usually shows up in top results.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #8
Angie
Administrator
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakilo99 View Post
Seems to always be a thread looking for a particular SM, can we have a sticky with threads dedicated to that topic? Inside the 'maintenance' category so its easy to locate?

sk
Are you thinking of one stickied thread that mods/admins add links to the manual thread. A manual thread could be reported with comments to add to the manual sticky thread.

We'd just put the link. Therefore, there would be only one new sticky thread and not many.

Is this the correct idea you are putting forward?
sierrakilo99 Likes This 
Old 10-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #9
sierrakilo99
Established Member

Yes, that's it. One thread with links to the other 'sticky' threads.

sk