Piper Forum > General Discussion > General Piper Discussion > I'm scared now
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:08 AM   #21
Orest @ CYFD
Administrator
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Liked 1112 Times on 902 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Hold the gear lever, until three green are confirmed, then recheck often.

* Orest

47cubpilot Likes This 
Old 10-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #22
Canuck
David Megginson

Liked 271 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Weren't early Arrows the ones that had a feature to automatically drop the gear once the airspeed dropped to a certain level? Not that you'd ever want to get lazy and rely on that ...

Old 10-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #23
Razz2o4
Established Member

Beautiful Plane!

Old 10-14-2017, 05:32 AM   #24
jpwamt

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Weren't early Arrows the ones that had a feature to automatically drop the gear once the airspeed dropped to a certain level? Not that you'd ever want to get lazy and rely on that ...
A lot of arrows shipped with the auto extension feature maybe all but im not sure. However A lot have been removed with a piper kit. I guess maintenance is tricky on the auto extension part and has been blamed for a few crashes when in the higher elevations.

My arrow still has it, tried it for the first time the other day, it's pretty weird I think. When airspeed slows, then bam 3 green and a blaring horn going off telling you to put the gear selector down. I just wanted to test it. I normally fly with the gear in override. I want the gear to go up when I tell it too, not have to wait for a higher airspeed as well.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #25
FloridaPilot
Established Member

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan3820 View Post
Don't know yet. I am waiting for my schedule, the instructor's schedule and the weather to line up.

But I will let you know.
Did you buy it sight unseen? You did you test fly it with the previous owner?

Old 10-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #26
YCCA

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Wherever you decide to drop the gear, do it the same every time.. i.e. just fwd of abeam intended point of landing, gear down flaps 1.. at abeam, power flaps trim turn talk heat.. short final, fields made final flaps heats off gear down

Old 10-15-2017, 11:05 PM   #27
EchoDelta
Established Member

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCCA View Post
Wherever you decide to drop the gear, do it the same every time.. i.e. just fwd of abeam intended point of landing, gear down flaps 1.. at abeam, power flaps trim turn talk heat.. short final, fields made final flaps heats off gear down
IMHO this is not necessarily the best advice. For example, if you get into the habit of always lowering the gear when on downwind "abeam the numbers" when VFR and at the FAF when on an IAP, you may forget when you do a straight-in or base entry VFR approach. Also, you may need to lower the gear earlier, for example to lose altitude rapidly. I believe the best habit to cultivate is to ALWAYS check for "three green" when at a specific place that you pass on every approach, VFR or IFR. I use 200 ft AGL. Of course, you should have long since lowered the gear, but if you forgot, that final check will prevent a very expensive grinding noise.
Orest @ CYFD Likes This 
Old 10-15-2017, 11:51 PM   #28
YCCA

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Well yeah if your doing a straight in there is no abeam point. My point was to get into a habit pattern of dropping the gear and doing the same thing every time unless the situation dictates otherwise. I was giving the example of when you are flying a downwind pattern. I instructed primary flight students in a complex aircraft, Navy T-34, for 4 years, so I have a little experience on how to get people to remember to lower the gear. Just my two cents though. But keep in mind, mine is a proven technique for people who have no flight time in a complex aircraft

QUOTE=EchoDelta;172274]IMHO this is not necessarily the best advice. For example, if you get into the habit of always lowering the gear when on downwind "abeam the numbers" when VFR and at the FAF when on an IAP, you may forget when you do a straight-in or base entry VFR approach. Also, you may need to lower the gear earlier, for example to lose altitude rapidly. I believe the best habit to cultivate is to ALWAYS check for "three green" when at a specific place that you pass on every approach, VFR or IFR. I use 200 ft AGL. Of course, you should have long since lowered the gear, but if you forgot, that final check will prevent a very expensive grinding noise.[/QUOTE]