Piper Forum > Aviation Topics > Avionics > G500TXi
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:37 AM   #21
Orest @ CYFD
Administrator
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Liked 1112 Times on 902 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjiv View Post
...and I had to call G telling them I have 530W in the panel.
Interesting!

I was referring to support for the HSI configuration.

* Orest

Old 10-13-2017, 12:44 AM   #22
RNC
Lifetime Supporting Member
PiPe_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 239 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 428

From having been in the unfortunate position of having to deal with Garmin, I would have advised the same. They are going to lie to you, so call them and lie to them first to get what you need.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:35 AM   #23
Skykingpiper
Established Member

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNC View Post
From having been in the unfortunate position of having to deal with Garmin, I would have advised the same. They are going to lie to you, so call them and lie to them first to get what you need.
Would you mind providing details about why you feel Garmin will lie to you or anyone else?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #24
RNC
Lifetime Supporting Member
PiPe_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 239 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skykingpiper View Post
Would you mind providing details about why you feel Garmin will lie to you or anyone else?
It's pretty well documented if you search my post history about the GTX345 on here.

They released it with a software bug that caused it to crash on a 360 heading and tried to blame it on Aspen, even after I clearly documented that the fault was theirs.

After a few of us early adopters with that transponder called various FSDOs their tune changed from "maybe we'll fix it" to "the fix is in the next update."

But the fix claims in the release notes that it was an Aspen bug (it is not, Aspen's equipment is ARINC429 complaint but the GTX345 was not compliant), so technically they are still lying about it.

They also refused on multiple occasions to answer basic questions (such as whether the traffic data is 735 or 735B), opting instead to read a pre-written sales pitch for "compatible Garmin displays"). If you call Aspen or Avidyne you can get that answer in about 2 minutes from the guy who picks up on the phone on the support desk.

Consider those facts if you're buying. If you're an installer/dealer I understand that you have to make that Garmin quota so no need to explain...

This also tells you how much oversight that FSDO down the hall at Garmin's HQ really exercises (see: little or none).

Last edited by RNC; 10-13-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Orest @ CYFD Likes This