Piper Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic > Gift to the Dems
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #121
Kristin

Liked 958 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoDelta View Post
Wow, I thought Killrocks was as delusional and misinformed as they come, but JimW has just raised that bar!
I was pretty blown away by the concept that workers in the red states were supporting California and the other blue states financially. That displays a staggering lack of knowledge and critical thinking. I am not in love with how California is run, but the wealth there compare to most all of the red states is staggering. Google alone could probably buy West Virginia.

That is not to say that I think Californians are better human beings or anything. I would rather drink beer with the denizens of fly-over country that have champagne in a California country club. The people are much more real. I loath SoCal which is all about appearances. It seems like every other billboard in the LA area is for plastic surgery. The ones that are not seem to be for trial attorneys trying to talk everyone into suing someone. I made my choice and left. But I made good money there. That is the reality. The acreage is in the red states but the money is in the blue states.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #122
JimW
Supporting Member
PiPe_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 173 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Kristin - sorry to hear about the California wildfire toll. Not pretty.

West Virginia hunters band together to fight wildfires on a regular basis, rather than depending on the State to do it - not that it has any money, anyway .... When I was in high school I developed considerable experience fighting fires in the WV woods. In many ways the situation in the Appalachians is different, but one thing I learned: You do NOT build on the ridges; you build in the valleys. Valley dwellings are easy to defend; there is always water available in the streams and you have quick access via valley roadways.

Most important, though, is that fire "backs downhill" but races uphill as the fuel is preheated by rising hot air. We never fought fires from above, always below; if you got a fire under you, you couldn't run fast enough to escape as it rushed uphill.

Californians have this predisposition to building on the ridgelines, and in a big fire, those buildings are toast.

If I were some sort of fire commissioner in California, I would mandate that all ridge-top dwellings have at least three or four firebreak roads under them. It might spoil the scenery, but it would give the firefighters a fighting chance. (Plus, my son has a lot of stock in Caterpillar - that's a joke.)

Old 10-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #123
Kristin

Liked 958 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 137

These fires are very close to where I used to live. I know most of the commercial places that burned and I know the neighborhoods in Santa Rosa. It is very sad.

This time, as is common for the really big fires, the fire came down the hill at a very rapid rate. In coastal California, we get Chinook winds that blow toward the ocean. The fire that devastated Santa Rosa started on the other side of a ridge line with peaks a couple of thousand feet high. It was driven by winds that were 60-70 kts in places. The fire came through the passes out of the first ridgeline and hit the small ridgeline that was the Fountain Grove neighborhood. Fingers of the fire went over that ridgeline, jumped a six lane freeway, and tore through the Coffey Park subdivision. It appears that the fire was not a continuous line, but fingers that through a lot of embers into the air. In the Fountain Grove area, some houses were destroyed and some spared, as the homes were on bigger lots. When the fire hit the densely packed subdivision, little was spared.

This all happened about 1am in the morning and it happened so fast that firefighters couldn't respond fast enough. California as a very sophisticated system for fighting wildfires. The State spends a lot of money on it. Most of the airtankers are all state run. Santa Rosa airport is a tanker base. But most of the damage happened at night in the first hour or two. Given that there were so many fires at the same time and that they did not present a solid line where it was easy to get a handle on where to concentrate resources, it is hard to blame the response.

Your point about ridgelines is true, but there isn't enough flat lands to put all the people. The reality is that rich people like ridgelines and hills. The Fountain Grove neighborhood was some of the priciest homes in Santa Rosa. One of the homes burned down as built by Charles Schulz of Peanuts fame. His widow was able to escape fortunately. Sad, but doubtless they are well insured. The folks an the flat lands will have a tougher time putting their lives back together. That is where the majority of the fatalities appear to have been.