Piper Forum > Piper Models > Cherokee > Oil filter inspection
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #21
Avidflyer2
Established Member

Liked 80 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Here is an example of a severely worn spigoted piston pin. Notice that one end is worn to almost half its normal length. In the second photo the piston pin spigot is worn down until the pin has become holed as it wore down to the internal machining done to lighten the spigot.

There wasn't any indication of piston pin wear in the oil filter or oil pump suction screen. The cylinder had to be removed due to compression leakage past the exhaust valve when I discovered this. No outward scoring on the cylinder wall either.

I've been wondering why this occurred: bent connecting rod; barrel shaped crankshaft journal; the reason must be out there somewhere.

IMG_2334.jpg   IMG_2335.jpg  

Old 09-23-2017, 03:41 AM   #22
ScottA
Established Member

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Going through the same thing with my Archer at 1300 hrs SMOH. Got the oil analysis back and they said nothing was found abnormal in the oil. If they were going to be picky they would say the iron was a little high but not out of limit. One mechanic says to replace the engine and two mechanics say to fly it and monitor. Pulled the big screen and found nothing in it. Thanks for sharing the guidelines. I will read them.
Update: I am on my way to being a sole owner and after 20 hours of flying my mechanic, I trust, cut open the filter and found nothing. Back to flying the bird with some confidence. Thanks for all of the help.