Piper Forum > Aviation Topics > Maintenance > Brake Pads
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:26 AM   #11
Ray93J
Supporting Member
PiPe_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 307 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 176

When you remove the wheel to service the wheel bearings, the brake pad assemblies fall off. Sometime there are new pads when you reassembly the wheel after servicing the bearings with new grease.

davids Likes This 
Old 08-13-2017, 12:55 AM   #12
Avidflyer2
Established Member

Liked 80 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Replacing the brake pads is not listed in the Appendix A of FAR Part 43. Is this considered PM and I just missed it or do you have to have an A&P sign off on it when you are done?
FAR 43 Appendix A. (c) Preventive maintenance. Preventive maintenance is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:

(1) Removal, installation, and repair of landing gear tires.
(2) Replacing elastic shock absorber cords on landing gear.
(3) Servicing landing gear shock struts by adding oil, air, or both.
(4) Servicing landing gear wheel bearings, such as cleaning and greasing.
(5) Replacing defective safety wiring or cotter keys.

Technically speaking you are correct in saying that replacing the brake linings which are riveted in place is not preventative maintenance but instead falls under "Maintenance" requiring the signature of a person holding at least an Airframe Mechanic's Certificate.

The tonque in cheek response from an earlier post about new pads simply lying about is true for linings which simply fit over studs or pins and are not riveted in place.

I don't think the FAA would give you a lot of grief over confusing this bit of maintenance with preventative maintenance as it could be argued that it does not involve complex assembly operations and that you are permitted to remove and replace the tire and wheel assembly which involves the disassembly of the disc brake unit to the extent of having the brake thrust plates (with linings) removed in order to remove the wheel from the axle. But then again, I wouldn't bring it to their attention.

Taking the two thrust plates to your mechanic for installation of the linings is the proper way to do it - providing you get his/her signature for the installation, also something they would be loathe to provide without a logbook.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:11 AM   #13
ScottA
Established Member

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree with you and think it should be allowed and have changed mine with a rivet tool before I knew it was not on the list. I will talk to my A&P and see what kind of lead way he will give me. I think that changing ignition harness should also be allowed, since they will let you change and gap the spark plugs; why not change the ignition harness. I just like to document everything and would be hesitant to put it in the log book and sign it when it is not per the FAR.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:34 AM   #14
Ray93J
Supporting Member
PiPe_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 307 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 176

The spirit of this is to get good instruction and direction. Don't work behind your mechanic's back. Be up front with the person (he or she) and tell them what you want to do. Get the correct tools and get the knowledge from someone who knows. Even the simplest of jobs that are on the FAA's list can be screwed up. Be very honest with yourself and stop when you feel you are in over your head.

You can find many gray areas in the regs. Don't use these areas to do something stupid.

Last edited by Ray93J; 08-13-2017 at 01:37 AM.
magman Likes This 
Old 08-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #15
Domenick
Established Member

Liked 260 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguydon View Post
Do your self a big favor. When you pull the brakes off leaving the caliper and its piston just "waiting on your return"... put a good tight tie-wrap around the caliper and piston so it does not pop out....
Or use a big C-Clamp. If you need to push the piston into the caliper to make enough clearance to get it over the new, thicker pads, put pressure on the piston with a C-clamp, then very carefully, unscrew the bleed nipple. Let it dribble out then tighten nipple. Tighten C-clamp. Repeat until you have enough clearance.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #16
sierrakilo99
Established Member

Liked 219 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Unless you've overfilled the reservoir, simply compressing the pucks with a big 'C' clamp should push the fluid back up into the reservoir. You shouldn't have to relieve the pressure by opening up the bleed screws at all.

sk

People Like This