Piper Forum > General Discussion > General Piper Discussion > Oil Cooler Winterization Plate Templates
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:08 AM   #21
Canuck
David Megginson

Liked 346 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmohr View Post
I'd be surprised if you don't see a temp diff between summer and winter flying without the winterization plate. The difference is dramatic on my 161.
No, I have seen the temp difference the couple of times I've flown in winter without the plate installed. What I haven't seen (fortunately) is the foaming/bubbling that GM mentioned.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #22
hsegura
N4013Q Turbo Arrow III
PiPe_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

This will be my first winter with my TA III. In mild cool weather (60 at the surface) I am noticing my oil temps well below 180. Usually its right on the mark.
This thread has me wondering if i need a plate.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:26 PM   #23
arzenmaster

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsegura View Post
This will be my first winter with my TA III. In mild cool weather (60 at the surface) I am noticing my oil temps well below 180. Usually its right on the mark.
This thread has me wondering if i need a plate.

I use my winterization plate when its cold. I think its a must, at least for my Cherokee. I've seen my oil temps down around 120-125, when it gets cold without the plate.

If you follow Mike Busch (spelling) and his seminars on aircraft oil. He states that you need to see an operating oil temp at or over 180 degrees to cook the water out of the oil.

At 50 degrees ambient, my oil temp usually will run between 190 -200, with the plate. When the temp dips into the teens, I'm sure the oil temp would be closer to 100 degrees without it.
Oil cooler plate.jpg  

Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #24
78TARROW
Established Member

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

My TA III runs cool. I definitely use the plate in the winter months.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #25
hsegura
N4013Q Turbo Arrow III
PiPe_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

My TA III runs cool also. But I dont have a plate. Anyone know where to get one or the part number?

Old 12-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #26
N47438
Lifetime Supporting Member
PiPe_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default I made several

There are a couple of posts in this thread with templates. One without a hole and one with a hole. I made a couple from a single sheet of aluminum purchased from Home Depot. I traced the pattern on the aluminum sheet and then cut the pattern with a Dremel. I made four plates from one sheet.

The tiny Phillips screw and nut we’re a little difficult to deal with so I replaced those with an M3 size wing nut and wing bolt:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The plate without the hole resulted in temps rising to 202 degrees with an OAT of 43 whereas the one with the hole resulted in an oil temp of 184.

The plate only took about 10 minutes to cut. You will need to sand or file the edges to smooth out the metal burrs. The edges could be a little sharp as well.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #27
RickS
Supporting Member
PiPe_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FWIW, I'll chime in here about my -140. After following this thread, I contacted the fellow I bought the airplane from. He's in Logan, UT, so it gets pretty cold there in the winter of course. He said he never used one. So today, I go flying in the coldest I have personally flown in, approx 1C on the ground when I started. As I let the engine warm up, and did the runup, the temp stayed low as it usually does. About 10 minutes into the flight I took a look, and the needle was just to the cool side of the 180 degree tic mark by about 2 needle widths. So, a bit cooler than it runs in the summertime, but certainly not far to the cool side of the scale.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM   #28
arzenmaster

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
FWIW, I'll chime in here about my -140. After following this thread, I contacted the fellow I bought the airplane from. He's in Logan, UT, so it gets pretty cold there in the winter of course. He said he never used one. So today, I go flying in the coldest I have personally flown in, approx 1C on the ground when I started. As I let the engine warm up, and did the runup, the temp stayed low as it usually does. About 10 minutes into the flight I took a look, and the needle was just to the cool side of the 180 degree tic mark by about 2 needle widths. So, a bit cooler than it runs in the summertime, but certainly not far to the cool side of the scale.
Maybe my thermostat has some leak through, allowing too much cooling? Never really thought about that till I read your post.

Without the winterization plate at ambient freezing (0C) my oil never gets to 180 degrees F without the plate. Ambient temps around 10C I really need to start looking at removing the plate, as the oil temp starts pushing 200F or over, at leaned out cruise power settings.

I've read some posts where someone had to install a piece of aluminum angle above the oil cooler as an airflow diverter to keep oil temps down in the summer. Summer heat, I see 180F oil regardless of 100 degree F ambient temps. So I never gave it a second thought.