Piper Forum > General Discussion > Destinations > where to fly in the panhandle to get $100 dollar hamburgers?
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #1
2013grandsport
Established Member

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default where to fly in the panhandle to get $100 dollar hamburgers?

I am considering moving to north florida and am spoiled in central and south florida with the mass amounts of airports to fly to and eat... is it like that in north florida?

Old 12-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
jruhnke
Lifetime Supporting Member
PiPe_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 385 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I find these two sites helpful in trying to find day-trip destinations for lunch or other near-the-airport attractions/events. These links go direct to FL-specific searches, but from there you can go to their home page and punch in your own search criteria. Caveats: They're only as good as the user submissions, so may not be comprehensive and some info can be out of date. I always try to call and confirm before heading out now, after learning the hard way by finding a couple of places out of biz when I showed up.

Funplacestofly.com: Text list of FL things to do, Map-based summary

Fly2lunch.com: Restaurants along JAX-PNS route (Doesn't show much, unfortunately.)

Not sure what your location or time constraints are, but I've overnighted in Tallahassee, Panama City, and Pensacola, and all of them were enjoyable. Tallahassee has a pleasant downtown area (though not exactly hopping with excitement), Panama City of course has beautiful beaches (and the touristy shops and restaurants that come with that), and Pensacola has the naval air museum, a lighthouse, Fort Pickens, and again all the touristy stuff that comes with a beach community. All of those will require some transportation to get from the airport to the towns. (Looks like there's a big TFR popping up over Pensacola soon, so consider that.)

And "north but not panhandle", St. Augustine was enjoyable; the tourist district is *very* touristy, but Castillo de San Marcos is an impressively preserved piece of history, and Flagler's former Ponce de Leon hotel (now Flagler College) is incredible. (Again, you'll need to arrange ground transport, but the fort, the hotel, and the tourist area are all within easy walking distance of each other once you get to that area.)

Last edited by jruhnke; 12-07-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
sierrakilo99
Established Member

Liked 222 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 138

There's a good restaurant called Pyper Kub Cafe' just outside the gates of Williston (X60) and that's not far south-east of the panhandle. Cheap fuel there too.

Cedar Key (KCDK) is within easy reach of the panhandle as well, and Judy still picks up people from the landing strip if you ask over unicom.

sk

Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
Raptor05121
Mooney Apostate

Liked 130 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 329

A couple of us are in North Central. I consider it quite active, we have several local EAA chapters that are very busy. It is not uncommon to find a group of planes flying somewhere for breakfast/lunch at least twice a month.

"Planes are much more sensitive than car. They're literally flying canoes with boxer engines packed full of Molotov cocktails that rely on tampons and $10 screws to stay in the air and not kill you.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #5
2013grandsport
Established Member

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would be based in Pensacola... so what do you guys know about the action in that area?