Piper Forum > Piper Models > Cherokee > Shared: My Checklist ( PA-28-180)
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Canuck
David Megginson

Liked 346 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywag View Post
Looks good, except for possibly switching fuel tanks on downwind
I've learned the hard way to avoid unnecessary configuration changes just before landing—I'd include switching fuel tanks in that list. If the plane is running OK, it will probably keep running OK for the next 5 minutes until you're on the ground.

In my case, quite a few years ago I had flown through some fairly thick snowfall (MVFR), so I decided to put on my pitot heat before descent to be safe. As some of you fellow winter fliers have probably already guessed, that was just enough to convert some of the harmless big snowflakes into water that got pulled into my pitot line, refroze, and blocked it, so I had the dubious pleasure of landing at CYGK 01 in the snow, with the freezing waters of Lake Ontario below me and no ASI.

That wasn't a big deal with a long runway, but I still noticed that my last-minute fiddling actually caused the problem I was trying to avoid. So my rule during the final minutes of a flight now is don't try to fix what ain't broke.

Last edited by Canuck; 12-07-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
GM.
Supporting Member
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Liked 1770 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 537

Default Shared: My Checklist ( PA-28-180)

As far as the OP example, I like the fuel configuration set during the descent and that is my procedure. I see no need to change the fuel source on downwind. I like the control check early but I do mine before engine start to hear any abnormal noises (bearings or rubbing). Thatís the idea beside the usual free and normal. I found a bad aileron pulley bearing under the wing walk that way. I donít see the need for the doors and windows secure in the before start though since they usually are open in the summer for taxi out.

Canuck Likes This 
Old 12-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #13
Flying_Monkey
Established Member

Liked 250 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Here is the one I used for my 1973 PA28-180. Meant to be folded in half, laminated, and possibly kept on a kneeboard. Color coded for phases of flight. Ruler at the top used to measure nose and main strut extensions. Speeds in mph as per POH applicable for that year only...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yrl3zq2c9...5zrZ3jYBa?dl=0

I have a separate full size emergency checklist.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #14
Baron62
Established Member

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looks good. I agree that there is no need to change tanks on downwind as long as you have plenty of fuel. Is your max crosswind 17 Knots or MPH? My Archer is 17 Knots.

What percentage of pilots hold and read the checklist on a small aircraft like this on a VFR flight? If you fly regularly then you have the checklist and some other items memorized. I used to be a flight test engineer on helos and the test pilots rarely touched their checklists unless testing something. I barely had time to put my helmet on!

Old 12-07-2017, 10:59 PM   #15
GM.
Supporting Member
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron62 View Post
What percentage of pilots hold and read the checklist on a small aircraft like this on a VFR flight? If you fly regularly then you have the checklist and some other items memorized. I used to be a flight test engineer on helos and the test pilots rarely touched their checklists...

There have been more than a few light aircraft landings using memory checklist concepts without landing gear extended.

The read and check technique (not read and do) does not rely on memory. I don’t use any of my checklists as “do” lists except for the terminating check. They are used as verification “checks” after I do the flows at an appropriate light workload time.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 PM   #16
Canuck
David Megginson

Liked 346 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM. View Post
There have been more than a few light aircraft landings using memory checklist concepts without landing gear extended.
That's a great point.

One danger of checklists, though, is that they get too long—the ones for use at high-workload times (e.g. preparing to land, or right after takeoff) need to be as short as possible, limited to only the "killer" items (that can kill you, the plane, or both).

For a retractable, gear down and locked obviously fits the bill. For a simple, fixed-gear, fixed-pitch single, without cowl flaps, what are the "killer" pre-landing checklist items?

I guess mixture full rich could be one, but others just get used to pushing both levers forward with the flat of the hand for takeoff or go-around. Parking brake off could be another, but in a Cherokee it's hard to take off with the parking brake set, or to set it accidentally in flight.

Other pre-landing checklist items I've seen, like primer locked, mags on both, etc., would be nice in case of a go-around, but they'll make for too long a checklist at a busy time, I think, and are addressing extremely unlike edge cases (like a mag failing at exactly the moment you're climbing out).

Last edited by Canuck; 12-07-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #17
GM.
Supporting Member
PiPe_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Other pre-landing checklist items I've seen, like primer locked, mags on both, etc., would be nice in case of a go-around, but they'll make for too long a checklist at a busy time, I think, and are addressing extremely unlike edge cases (like a mag failing at exactly the moment you're climbing out).
True, then why place them into a fifteen item before landing checklist? Why can't the primer and mags be addressed (if they have to in the first place) on the descent check? Which by the way does not have to occur when initiating the descent from 10,000 feet or above. Your "descent check" can occur when you wish three to five miles out if desired. As I said, use it as the checklist it is, not a do list. You can accomplish the items earlier in your descent flow. If the primer becomes unlocked you will be addressing the mags and primer at that time when the engine begins to run rough anyway during it's own procedure. During a busy time in the pattern I find a suitable "final Items" landing checklist to be the one Piper provided that is conveniently located on the lower Cherokee instrument panel. I read and verify this brief checklist after the gear is down with a simple movement of the eye. These items can also be printed on your hard copy for uniformity as "final items" or "final check". Just like is done on the heavy metal, it works.

Canuck Likes This