Piper Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic > Do you think THIS could be a cause for the Division in our country?
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:15 AM   #111
Leigh
Established Member

Liked 904 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
"Since you seem very interested in the situation in Canada regarding our activist SC"

That's a laugh, considering your interest in US politics.
Why shouldn't I have an interest in US politics since what happens south of our border often has a major impact on our economy? I've travelled enough over many years throughout the USA to realize that not many Americans know much at all or even have much interest in Canada and I have no problem with that as we have little impact on the economy etc of the USA.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:02 AM   #112
EchoDelta
Established Member

Liked 489 Times on 395 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Why shouldn't I have an interest in US politics since what happens south of our border often has a major impact on our economy? I've travelled enough over many years throughout the USA to realize that not many Americans know much at all or even have much interest in Canada and I have no problem with that as we have little impact on the economy etc of the USA.
You are correct that what happens politically and economically in the US has an outsized impact on Canada, but you are wrong in assuming that Canada has little impact on the US. Canada is the second largest trading partner of the US (to the tune of about US$550 billion/year), just slightly below China. And unlike with China, Trade between the US and Canada is pretty close to even in terms of total dollar value of goods and services going in each direction. We in the US tend to think that trade with Mexico is the biggest concern regarding NAFTA, but trade with Canada is bigger and probably more important economically. Any conflicts that disrupt this flow of trade would have major impacts on both countries.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #113
JimC
Established Member

Liked 1347 Times on 1026 Posts
Likes Given: 926

I've spent time in Canada as a guest of the Canadian government. I noticed two things -
1) I feel very much at home there, except for the money looking funny.
2) Canada has an enormous influence on the US (which is fine by me).

Old 12-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #114
Tweety
Established Member

Liked 530 Times on 424 Posts

Default Do you think THIS could be a cause for the Division in our country?

Last time I visited Quebec, I felt somewhat uncomfortable. Perhaps it was only having two years of high-school French. But it did raise concerns about trying to maintain "bilinguality" and I think about it every time I hear "para espanol marque dos". Can a bilingual country really be united?

Old 12-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #115
JimC
Established Member

Liked 1347 Times on 1026 Posts
Likes Given: 926

No, it can't.
People Like This 
Old 12-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #116
Leigh
Established Member

At what point does opposition become treason?

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-donald-trump/

Old 12-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #117
Leigh
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
No, it can't.
Unfortunately you are completely correct Jim. Another example is Belgium which is polarized around language, with two solitudes hating each other for that reason.

The problems in Canada go a lot deeper than just language since there are some huge cultural gaps too with corruption being a way of doing business in some regions. This video will give you some examples of that..

People Like This 
Old 12-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #118
Leigh
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoDelta View Post
You are correct that what happens politically and economically in the US has an outsized impact on Canada, but you are wrong in assuming that Canada has little impact on the US. Canada is the second largest trading partner of the US (to the tune of about US$550 billion/year), just slightly below China. And unlike with China, Trade between the US and Canada is pretty close to even in terms of total dollar value of goods and services going in each direction. We in the US tend to think that trade with Mexico is the biggest concern regarding NAFTA, but trade with Canada is bigger and probably more important economically. Any conflicts that disrupt this flow of trade would have major impacts on both countries.
Generally true but where were you when Obama was blocking the approval of the Keystone XL pipeline, a move the had multiple negative impacts on that trade and hurt Canada greatly, and still is? There was at least one great beneficiary of that in the name of Buffett who just happened to own BNSF railway which just happened to be making about a billion a year profit hauling the oil and just happened to be one of if not the single biggest contributor to the Democrats. All these things are I'm sure just coincidences.

You might also wish to read up on the activities in Canada through surrogates of Tides, which just happens to be well funded by the big US refiners who just happen to greatly benefit by the activities to block the construction of pipelines that would give Canada ready access to world markets for the oil rather than being a captive supplier for the Rockefellers etc for about 20% off world price.

Like the old saying goes, "just follow the money" to understand things.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:14 PM   #119
JimW
Supporting Member
PiPe_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 243 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 45

re: speech in House of Commons

Wow. I think you guys have the wrong P.M..

Old 12-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #120
Leigh
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
re: speech in House of Commons

Wow. I think you guys have the wrong P.M..
No doubt about that.