Piper Forum > Piper Models > Cubs > China "Cub"
Help Support Piper Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
Cliff
Established Member

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Speaking about alternative engines, reminded me about folks who were putting on Harley Davidson motors on airplanes. I don't hear much about that being done nowadays. Wonder why?

Old 07-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #12
rrc1962
Established Member

Liked 599 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Since this thread found it's way back, I don't think they need to start from scratch. The Lycoming block and rotating assembly is fine. If you want low RPM torque, you need cubic inches. IE: 540CI in 6 cylinders. What they need to do is certify a modern sequential fuel injection systems, electronic ignition and liquid cooling. Harley came out with Dual Cool recently, which basically adds water jackets to the air cooled heads. The liquid cooling works in conjunction with air cooling which means they don't need a huge radiator and lots of liquid volume (weight).

If the FAA would get out of the way, things like this would happen. Lycoming has a new engine out, but what we need are certified retrofits for our older planes.

https://www.lycoming.com/engines/ie2